3 AMAZING WAYS TO COOK YAM
I know you are familiar with regular Yam recipes like Yam porridge , Yam and egg, Roasted or fried yam etc so I will be sharing 3 amazing not so popular Yam recipes with you.
Yamarita is yam coated in flour just like your favorite KFC Breaded chicken.
What you need: Yam, flour, eggs, seasoning cubes, salt to taste, cooking oil
How to cook
- Cut yam into desired shape and peel
- Rinse in a clean bowl of water and put into boiling water
- Leave heat on medium and let yam boil for about 10 minutes till it is tender but firm
- In a separate bowl, mix flour, peppers and seasoning together
- In another bowl, break the eggs and add salt and mix it together
- Then dip the yam into the egg first, then, dip into the separate bowl of mixed flour from step 4. This is so the flour can stick well on the yam
- Once the yam is coated with flour, you can dip it into the eggs again
- Add cooking oil to a frying pan under medium heat.
- Then fry the coated yam into the hot cooking oil
- Fry till golden brown
- Remove it and serve with a sauce of your choice
What you need: Yam, egg, milk, butter, pepper, seasoning, vegetable oil, onions, salt,
How to cook
- Peel the yam and cut into smaller chunks like you’re making porridge
- Rinse and add into a pot of boiling water. Then, add milk and salt to taste
- Add your peppers, butter, seasoning and any other condiments of your choice
- Stir it all together and let it cook till soft
- Mash the cooked yams until it becomes smooth
- Then, wait till it cools down and mould the yam into small balls
- Whisk eggs together in a bowl
- Dip the yam balls into the whisked egg and fry under medium heat till golden brown
- Allow it cool and serve as a snack
Baked yam cheese
What you need: Yam, onion, cheese(preference), milk, eggs,vegetable oil, salt, breadcrumbs, butter
How to cook
- Peel, slice and rinse yam and cook for about 10 minutes
- Chop your onions and grate your cheese in a plate
- Drain the excess water from the yam if any and mix with butter, milk or cream.
- Then, whisk your eggs together and add to the mixture from step 3
- Add seasoning and salt to taste
- Set your oven to 200°C to preheat.
- Put the yam mix into a baking pan and sprinkle the grated cheese and breadcrumbs on it
- Bake for about 30 minutes till the cheese is melted
- Take it off the oven and let it cool down
- Then it is ready to be served.